Wi-Fi calling allow users to make regular calls in bad connectivity areas with the help of Wi-Fi networks. However, this service only works if your telecom operator supports Wi-Fi calling and the subscriber has a powerful Wi-Fi connection. When the network connectivity is low, compatible phones will use the Wi-Fi network to make regular calls through the telecom operator it is subscribed to. In India, most telecom operators offer Wi-Fi calling support, including Airtel, Reliance Jio, and Vodafone Idea. The telecom operators levy no additional cost for this service.
Moreover, the Wi-Fi calling service is mainly helpful in low network connectivity areas. If Wi-Fi calling is validate on the smartphone, it will use the connected Wi-Fi network to make regular voice calls. In case, if you’re in the basement of a building and have low network connectivity, but strong Wi-Fi, you will still be able to make seamless regular voice calls. Furthermore, this system looks to improve call quality and reduce call drops. Wi-Fi calling service makes calls over the VoIP (voice over Internet protocol) instead of the VoLTE (voice over LTE) network.
How to enable WiFi calling on Android phones
However, recently launched smartphones are already compatible with Wi-Fi calling. Users can check this on their phones by going into network settings and looking for the option. If the option is not available, then Wi-Fi calling is not compatible on the phone. Follow the simple steps to enable Wi-Fi calling on Android phones.
- Go to the Settings menu on your Android smartphone. Head to the Networks section (This could be called the Connections section or even Mobile Networks).
- In the Networks section, go to WiFi Preferences and then click on Advanced.
- Check for an option called WiFi Calling. If you have two SIM cards installed on the phone, users can decide which number to enable it for. Subscribers can even enable it for both numbers.
- In some phones, the WiFi calling option is offered right in the Networks section, without the need to dive deeper into the Advanced section. The pathway may be slightly different based on the OS skins of different Android phones.
How to enable it on your iPhone
On an iPhone, Wi-Fi calling can be activat easily as long as the telecom operator supports it. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- Head to the Settings menu in an iPhone. Click on Phone.
- Click on Mobile Data > WiFi Calling (This will show up only if your telecom operator supports the service)
- Toggle on “WiFi Calling on This iPhone”. If WiFi Calling is available, you’ll see WiFi after your carrier name in the status bar. Then your calls will use WiFi Calling.