Have you ever tried to change the currency of an opportunity in Salesforce, after realizing that it was associated with incorrect currency?
Did you receive an error message stating that you need to delete the opportunity product first? If so, don’t worry – you’re not alone. I have encountered this situation several times. In this article, I’m excited to share with you the steps on how to change the opportunity currency in Salesforce. This will allow you to seamlessly manage your sales process and avoid any unnecessary complications.
Prerequisites Before Changing an Opportunity’s Currency in Salesforce
The prerequisites before changing the currency of an opportunity in Salesforce are:
- The currency field must be defined as visible and modifiable on the layout. If not, you must first request this from your Salesforce administrator.
- The “Multi-Currency” feature is enabled in your organization, and the needed currencies and conversions are already defined.
Steps to change the currency of an opportunity in Salesforce
To change the currency of an opportunity in Salesforce, follow these steps:
- Go to the Opportunity record that you want to change the currency for.
- Delete the products line items, related to the opportunity.
- Click on the “Edit” button to make changes to the record.
- Scroll down to the “Currency Information” section.
- Click on the “Change” link next to the currency field.
- Select the new currency from the drop-down list and click “Save”.
- You will need to manually change the amount field of the opportunity to the correct value.
- Add the products items you deleted before.
Why you must delete products before changing the opportunity currency
In Salesforce, the currency of an opportunity is tied to the currency of its associated products. Therefore, if you try to change the opportunity currency without first deleting the associated products, it can cause inconsistencies and errors in the calculations related to the opportunity, such as the total value of the opportunity or the sales revenue.
To avoid these issues, Salesforce requires that you delete the products first before changing the opportunity currency.
For more information you can also check this Salesforce article.